Marbled Chocolate Meringues
When I thought of the meringues when I woke up this morning, I felt like there are some Ompah Loompahs doing all the magical works in my kitchen.
Well not really, it was just me that went SUGAR HIGH last night. I have many egg whites and its a waste to bin them. I thought of meringues but I have never made one before. So my desires went beyond control and there I was at 9pm, whipping and whipping.
Shape wise they should have been slightly be looking like Hersey Kisses but since am the kind of does not follow fashion trend, I thought so what? They are MY MERINGUES . I can have them round, square, conical… they are my first.
For us here in Europe this is very American Household Shop. I have been exposed to this when I was in the US for a while. The book has gorgeous colour
photography. It has been sitting on the shelf for a while and all I do is flip the pages and dream. About time I do something.
Well I did not get much of the marble effect because I over did the folding in. But surely I did the beating right because they FEATHER LIGHT and the inside is just gooey. Its that a right word to describe this? I wonder.
Things you need for yummy meringues:
4 egg whites
How to make delicious meringues
1) Preheat oven to 135C
2) Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
3)In a saucepan, bring 1-2 inches water to simmer.
4)Put chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering water and melt. Make sure bowl not touching the water.
5) Stir occasionally
6) Set aside and let it coo slightly
7) In another heat proof bowl combine egg whites and sugar over simmering water.
8) Whisk until mixture is hot 4- 5 mins.
9) Remove bowl from heat
10) Beat with electric mixer until peaks form.
11) Drizzle melted chocolate folding in with rubber spatula until MARBLED.
12) With a spoon drop batter in large mounds
13) Bake until crisp outside and still chewy inside 30-40mins.
14) Let it cool completely before removing paper.
15) Store in air tight container.
Think my mistake was just I overdid the folding so it did not have much of a marbled effect but…it was great with my tea.
Oh I have placed some in opaque bags with bows and am giving some to the aerobics instructor. Forget the calories its Christmas!!